Monday, December 13, 2010

Thanks be to David Gregory



I would not be in WhimsiCali4nia at all if David Gregory did not have such a profound influence on my life's journey.

Upon my completion of 'The Atlantic Theater Conservatory' I was immediately cast in David's film, 'Plague Town' (no ordinary feat, I might add). I remember the day well. I was having a leisurely lunch with an old friend from my high school and remarked "I better get to this audition..." And I invited her to join me. It was a cold read-some short paragraph where I was to talk to some child about something...and while rehearsing a few of the professors at Emerson came up to me and sort of 'shot the shit' with me. And I guess they found me entertaining enough to follow me into my audition, which was a bit odd. So I had a mini audience for this cold read. And I managed to be pretty much completely off book for the audition. I remember I was wearing a blue dress and my hair was short back then. Not sure how I came across. I remember having one goal and one goal only: to speak to the child as if he were a child. That was it. No real action-though an action is usually that of 'to teach' with a child. But just one goal. That, and to not look at the paper too much.

Anyway, a few days later I found out I had a callback. And I went in again. A different dress this time. And I forget what the reading was. But I must have done OK, because then I had a third callback. And then a fourth, and then I lost track. It was down to 4 girls total for 2 parts. And after our final callback the four of us were so stressed out and sick of hating each other, we decided to go out for drinks and forget about it all. So we got good and drunk and talked about how insane this casting process was and how we were going crazy...

I was sure the pretty girl was going to get it. Because, well she was sooooooo pretty. Later, David assured me that we were both pretty. But still, she was super duper pretty. And I just didn't think I measured up. But in the end, I got the part.

This meant two things: One-I got to star in my first ever feature film right after school. An indie film that already had distribution.

And Two: I made a new life-long best friend with my Director, David.

I'll save the actual filming for another blog. But all in all, one thing led to another. We shot the film. I realized how much I loved making movies. The whole process-even freezing my butt off in the woods in the middle of the night in CT was somehow the most glamorous thing ever. The fake blood. The family dynamic with the other actors. I realized I wanted to be a film actress (before I thought maybe theater). And right after filming I was invited out to LA by a "big shot" manager to audition for EVERYTHING. And I did. But I also met up with David and Kyle (our AD for 'Plague Town') and had a grand ol' time with them. We were all in a bit of a 'transition' time in our lives. And so we found comfort in our budding friendship. Drinking the night away, driving to Las Vegas, pulling all-nighters on Venice beach. Being deviant artists that we were. And oops. I bombed my auditions in the process. (Yes, the hard-knock lessons we learn along the way). But you know what, that was how it was meant to be, I believe. I thought I could "get away with it" relying on my talent,etc. But guess what. I couldn't. And now I know that.

The manager dropped me. I sobbed on the phone to David. I swore I would never let that happen again. And I moved to LA anyway.

And David has been there for me through it all. And I mean IT ALL. He is one of the few friends I can call literally at any time. And he will answer the phone and say all the right things. And he has believed in me since day 1.

Now we have a wonderful tradition every year of writing out the BEST/WORST of this year, and our goals for the next year. And David keeps our lists to review for the next year. This year, David accomplished pretty much all of his goals. And I accomplished 3 of my 5.

We're doing good. We aren't so wild anymore. Well, I'm not anymore (won't speak for David). But we still have many highs and lows. And I would definitely not have lasted this long in WhimsiCali4nia without him. My dream is to make the next film we want to make together. I really want to do that. DAVID ARE YOU LISTENING?!!! We forgot to put that on the list!!!

Couldn't do it without you in...

WhimsiCali4nia

No comments:

Post a Comment