Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanks, Dad


I was thinking about Thanksgiving...since it's tomorrow and everything. And I was thinking about how someone just told me that my blog was a bit 'woe-is-me-ish' and I can see his point. I have a lot to be grateful for. And I am. I was thinking about all of those things: all of the wonderful people in my life, all that is actually going for me, how far I've come, all of the things that HAVE worked out in my life. And I do feel very, very grateful. I have my health. I have a roof over my head and all. I have a good family-far away and scattered as they are. We love each other. And they are very supportive.

I thought about my Grandfather who passed away this year, who was always grateful for everything in nature and for his family, and for all the little day to day things. He was a living example of gratitude. I could feel how grateful he was to have me at his bedside in his last days. And I am so grateful I was there to share with him his last moments. I am grateful to have known him, to have been blessed with hundreds of his hugs, his glowing smile.

And then I thought about MY Dad, and how grateful I am for him. And I found this picture and it made me smile to see how grateful little Erica was for him too.




Fighting a disease as long as I've 'known' him (Multiple Sclerosis, or as I called it as a kid, 'Multiple Ferocious'), he never brought it up, still never brings it up. He's gone from walking to walking with crutches, to leaning on my ten-yr.-old head for support, to being in a wheelchair, to not being able to transfer from wheelchair to chair, to moving downstairs, etc. No complaining, no woe-is-me-ing coming from him. Always cracking jokes about being a 'good for nothing crip.' Making light of hospital visits,etc. He is someone who is grateful for his family, music, whatever god-awful thing my Mom tries to cook him, for my Mom "Look how lucky I am to have ended up with such a pretty lady," for books, scrabble, chess, movies, etc.

He's not the typical Dad. He never put me on top of his shoulders, or spun me around, or kicked around a soccer ball with me. But he taught me to say, "We're just a couple-a-coool cats....(*snap*) yeeeaaaah...." making me practice it over and over until I got his approval. He taught me how to play chess and never belittled me enough to let me beat him (still haven't), he taught me that "Boys are bad" (I should have listened...), and he most of all, taught me to laugh at myself, laugh at life, laugh at any situation.



He's also given me the freedom to be myself, to do what I want with my life.

I remember when I was about 6 I said, "I am going to stay up ALL night." And he said, "OK." And I said, "Reeaaaallly?!" And he said, "Sure." And I fell asleep on the floor by his feet.

When I was about ten, it was snowing in Boston (at least 6 inches of snow) and I refused to put on my boots, because I thought they were ugly and he said, "OK...then go barefoot." And I said, "FINE. I WILL." And he said, "OK then." And I walked home in 6 inches of snow completely barefoot. Ouch.

When I was 18 I told my parents I was going to drop out of Boston University and move to NYC with my boyfriend at the time. And my Dad told my Mom to let me. 3 years later I said I was going to LA and my Dad said, "Sounds like a good idea."

Thanks Dad for letting me do what I want.

Happy Thanksgiving in...

WhimsiCali4nia

No comments:

Post a Comment